Taking a Moment

I just want to take a moment and break from my regularly scheduled program of 'Me'.


Japan, wow. In the aftermath of the Earthquake I have seen so much about humanity that I do not like. So much that makes me question where we are going with this race of humans. So many comments that make me shake my head. I have been reading news stories online, trying to keep updated in more ways than just keeping CNN on full time. Underneath every news story are comments left from people. These comments are what have me utterly confused and dismayed at our new generation.

Comments stating Japan deserves this. Comments making fun of their race. Comments about 'what if this happens to me OMG' and yet nothing about the poor people in Japan that it JUST happened to. Arguments over religion. Arguments over governments helping Japan, and by arguments, I mean a lot of people are saying nobody should help them because they are a 'rich' country.

I ask you, if this were to happen here, would these same people be so wrongfully opinionated? Would they turn away Japan if they came bearing food for their children based on the fact we are a 'rich' country? Would they be yelling out racial slurs as they were trapped on their rooftop, left for days, maybe left for good? Would they be so quick to condemn? My guess is no.

It is sickening. It makes me literally nauseous. I can't believe the sheer mass of comments such as these in comparison to comments that are made in caring and showing love for the people there. There are not enough of those comments, not enough love. That's the problem today. So much self love, not enough directed outwards to your fellow man.

Sorry, but in times of crisis, your Playstation and your pizza pops are not important. Your 'sweet ride' sitting in the driveway does not make you better than someone without a car. Your opinion on world politics is not only useless at the moment, but it is probably wrong and uneducated. I say this because your opinion on this situation is very far out in left field, which tells me you are ignorant on a cellular level.

It pains me to say that the only thing that would ever rid the rot of selfish ignorance in north america is to have some of these huge disasters of our own. How sick is it that we are so spoiled here, so protected in our ignorant bubbles, that it would take mass death and destruction to shake us and wake us? LOOK AROUND. Extend your sympathy for someone other than your pathetic self. There are people DYING EVERY DAY. It does matter, they are humans like you, no different, no less important.

It is not about how much money you can donate. It is not about how loud you can make your voice so that you are heard and get attention. It is about honest to goodness caring. Real sympathy for people other than yourself, in any country, any where.

Wake up before it is too late modern generation. Things will not always be this cozy for you, and when bad things happen, I bet you will be wanting someone to show you a little selfless love.

Thank you for reading,
♥Sadie

4 Response to "Taking a Moment"

  1. Casey Palmer says:
    March 13, 2011 at 12:04 AM

    I think I'll link to you in my Tuesday post. And then go figure out something decent I can go do for people.

  2. Sadie the Receptionist says:
    March 13, 2011 at 6:00 AM

    Thanks Case. Spread the word of selflessness as much as you can :)

    Even genuine care is doing more than most people these days.

    <3

  3. Casey Palmer says:
    March 18, 2011 at 10:47 AM

    It's going to be in today's post instead; sorry it took me so long!

  4. Sadie the Receptionist says:
    March 18, 2011 at 1:19 PM

    It's ok, I forgive you <3

    hehe