Debate or Shut Up?

Yeah, that is the question folks.


I pose the question because I find my mind is in the minority these days, more so than yesterday and certainly more so than a year or two ago. Now a year or two ago, it was in the minority as well, but as the world becomes more liberal and, dare I say, extremist, I find that my thinking is not really meshing with the times. I can not become a conspiracy theorist overnight because frankly, that mentality makes my skin crawl and shake my head so fast I get whiplash in my neck. I have very unpopular political views, very unpopular social views and just... well if I spoke my mind I would be very unpopular indeed.

And you know, as I type that, I am reminded that it is not true. I just reminded myself (thank you writing, thank you) that there are a lot of people feeling exactly like I do, almost afraid to speak their opinion because the extremist, aka popular, voices drown us out... rather violently sometimes.

This may have you curious as to what my views actually are, and once again, I am in a corner. I can not really openly share them unless I wanted to start a wide open debate in my nice little blog. If I wanted a rock throwing contest between sides, I would have started this thread with the title 'I DISAGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU STAND FOR' and then braced myself for the proverbial pelting.

I bring this up because, for some reason, recently on my personal Facebook news feed there have been oh so many debates going on. Generally, 20+ are all in screaming 'GEORGE BUSH PRETENDED TO BE AN ALIEN AND CALLED SPACE TO ARRANGE TO BOMB THE TRADE TOWERS!' in unison, and the very very odd (SEE: me) person is saying 'ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME RIGHT NOW?!'

These things have gone beyond opinion in to crazy territory. I should have been screen shotting the conversations over the past month. I can't even have real debates anymore with people, which by the way used to be interesting, without them wanting to tear my head off for having an opposite view. Same goes for religious debates and social debates. None of them are anything other than a duck and cover situation, and yet I have a very hard time (more than ever) keeping my mouth shut.

I think it is the sheer insanity of some of the things I have been reading these days. Insanity mixed with ignorance, such a nasty combination. I mean, it's great people are trying to be involved and have opinions, I just wish that they would maybe read a book or two before claiming to know how to solve the world's problems?

Political debates are useless anyways being that we, the little man, will never know the real truths or facts. They just used to be fun and interesting before people drank the crazy water.

We have a possible Chernobyl (or worse) on our hands in Japan right now, and people are still debating if Bush staged 9/11, conspiring with alien terrorists wielding your mom's spatula of course.

I guess the best bet is to just ignore these things and focus on the real issues of the world. My attention is better spent being aware of reality than arguing with conspiracy lovers I guess.

Now, back to looking for a job /sigh

Hope you are all having a good week! Watch out for aliens!!

Thank you for reading,
♥Sadie

5 Response to "Debate or Shut Up?"

  1. Anonymous Says:
    March 16, 2011 at 5:29 PM

    Good job Sadie!! If we hung on every crazy notion or theory that media or people try to throw at us; I'd have crawled in my cement hole, with a ten year supply of alphageties a long time ago.
    I'm not against a good debate, or discussion, but I agree it's getting harder to engage, for any length of time, before the proverbial "I'm wasting my breathe on an idiot" alarm goes off.
    Here is a little test you can use on people before engaging them in any debate or discussion..ask them if they have strong personal convictions on anything..and if they get a blank look on their face and emphatically announce "No, I've never been arrested ever!", give them their sign and back away slowly.

  2. Sadie the Receptionist says:
    March 16, 2011 at 8:13 PM

    Hahahaha... 'convictions'... I like that one. I am sure I would get the 'I have never been arrested' line a few times a day! So exhausting!

    I don't claim to have all the answers or know everything, but that's kind of my point... people that think they know it all are idiots! It's impossible to 'know it all' sheesh.

    Thanks for the comment, made me smile :)

    Cheers,
    Sadie

  3. Ma Says:
    March 23, 2011 at 11:31 AM

    Apparently we are joined by shadowy stalkers...you know the kind...ones that like to stick their face in yours even when ...well especially when they were told to piss off...ya those ones..I have a feeling it is definitely those ones.
    I think we need to access the cyberspace blocking device ..or perhaps I have a better plan.

  4. Ma Says:
    March 23, 2011 at 11:31 AM

    Apparently we are joined by shadowy stalkers...you know the kind...ones that like to stick their face in yours even when ...well especially when they were told to piss off...ya those ones..I have a feeling it is definitely those ones.
    I think we need to access the cyberspace blocking device ..or perhaps I have a better plan.

  5. Anonymous Says:
    March 27, 2011 at 9:27 PM

    I know what you mean with the tearing off of the heads! More and more often I have been coming to the conclusion that arguing IS completely futile in almost any case.
    And yet I still find myself even arguing about the stupidest things with the little kids I babysit.
    If we all just stopped everything for a minute and re-booted I bet we could all exist more peacefully.