Have you 'Scene' These Kids?!

Ahhh the Scene kids, or 'emo kids'... or 'scemo kids'. No matter what you want to call them, you either love them, or you despise them. Some say they are the new 'punk kids', some say they are 'posers', some say they are 'individuals'... the list goes on, but they have many stereotypes placed on them from society, and possibly even themselves.

How do I feel about the Scenesters? I fall in the 'love them' category. They are freaking adorable. I know, I know, 'but they are all trying to copy each other and that is so lame!' right? Wrong. And why do you care so much? Every decade has something about it that stands out in common styles for youth. Hello 80's anyone? The 80's was absolutely insane for fashion and trends and today we look back on it and laugh and smile while we get hit by nostalgia and miss it. Don't tell me you 80's kids haven't had nights where you played nothing but 80's music, looked at old photos from 'back in the day' and rode that nostalgia train.

Speaking of the 80's, anyone remember her? I rest my case!


So common you guys, don't be hypocrites. How did you feel when you were exploring yourself as a youth, and trying new things and new styles, and people got all up in your face about it? Did you like being labeled? I doubt you did.

These kids today are just trying to explore themselves, be themselves and yes, fit in. Is fitting in really an alien concept these days? We all try to, in some way, even if we are unaware of it. Even those non-conformist types (I see you out there) try to fit in in some way at some point. Who hasn't bought something at some point because it was 'the in style'. Not to mention stores tend stock their shelves with 'in' styles, so we kind of buy in to it all anyways, even if we are not trying to.

Cheer up emo, these scene kids are just like you were, and are. Leave them alone and try to see them as they are, not as you portray them to be. Let them have their fun and dress how they want to, we all did it, do it, and will continue to. Stop being a bully! I've met a lot of these kids and honestly, they are really cool people that are either totally off the wall hilarious to be around, or super brainy and smart with a lot to say. Doesn't sound very different from the rest of us and our diversities does it? I think not.

These kids are not going away and are going to do what they want to do, despite your stares and pointing fingers... I guess in a way that is pretty punk rock... minus the fires and face punching.

In salute to all of you scene kids out there, I bring you some way cool hair photos. I personally love this stuff... it's crazy, artistic and quite often vibrant and creative. I dare any one of you naysayers out there to get a "scene/emo" hair style just once and I bet you would have fun with it for a while, if nothing else. Hell, some of you might even become converts!

This is my challenge to you for 2011. Try something new, something new from that something that you don't quite understand. Maybe, just maybe, it will make you a much more open minded person. And hey, that's ok!

2 Response to "Have you 'Scene' These Kids?!"

  1. Crystal-lee Says:
    January 7, 2011 at 9:27 AM

    I am so glad that my girlfriend, Cyndi Lauper made it into this post. Cyn is in, baby!

  2. Sadie the Receptionist says:
    January 7, 2011 at 9:44 AM

    You have a very stylish and awesome girlfriend Crystal! Well done! She looks really good for her age too...